Using Twitter Lists
Yesterday we talked about how to hijack your competitors Twitter Lists to find new prospects. Today we are going to discuss how to effectively create and use Twitter Lists.
Twitter Lists are an easy way to to sub-divide your followers and easily track groups of your followers. To follow up on yesterday's article we would suggest that if you are going to use your Lists for business purposes that you start by defining your customer personas.
Define your lists (customer) personas:
- Creating customer personas will allow you to be targeted with the content you create and distribute to your followers. Be specific.
- Divide your personas into multiple groups. We suggest you start with a minimum of 3-4 groups and expand as needed to get more specific.
- Use basic demographic information to get started (age, sex, married, single, income).
- Get detailed. The more scope you can add to your personas the better chance you have of targeting them, so add the details (type of car they drive, kids/no kids, education, hobbies, etc).
Now that you have built your personas lets start building your Lists.
How to create a Twitter list:
- Navigate to your Lists page. Click on your Profile drop-down menu in the top navigation bar or by going to your profile page and clicking the Lists tab.
- Click Create list.
- Name your List. (Your List name cannot exceed 25 characters. If you do not want to have your list hijacked by competitors give it a covert name).
- Click Save list.
How to add or remove people from your list:
- Click the icon on a user's profile. This brings up a drop-down menu.
- Select Add or remove from from lists. (see image below)
- A pop-up will appear displaying your created lists. Check the lists you would like to add this user to, or uncheck the list your would like to remove them from.
- To verify you have added or removed a user correctly, navigate to your Profile Page and click on the Lists tab. Click the List you would like to verify, then click Members to verify.
How to see Lists that you are on:
On your Lists Page, click on Member of. This will populate all of the lists your profile has been added to.
How to view Tweets from a List:
- Go to your Profile page.
- Click the Lists tab on the left panel of the screen.
- Choose the List you would like to view.
- You will then see the stream of Tweets from the users on this List.
How to edit or delete Lists:
- Go to your Profile Page.
- Click on the Lists tab on the left panel of the screen.
- You will see Lists you have created and the Lists you follow.
- Select the List that you would like to edit or delete. Click Edit to update your List or click Delete to remove this List.
- You are not able to add or remove people from your Lists on this page. You must navigate back to your Profile Page of each individual you would like to add or delete from a List.
How to subscribe to/follow other people's Lists:
- Click on the Lists tab when viewing someone elses profile.
- Select the List you would like to subscribe to.
- From the List page, click Subscribe to follow the list you have selected.
How to remove yourself from a list by Blocking the list creator:
- Log in to your Twitter account.
- Go to the Profile Page of the person you wish to Block.
- Click this person's icon on their profile page.
- Select Block from the drop-down menu.
Blocked users cannot:
- Add your Twitter account to their Lists. (This is very important if you do not want your competitors to hijack your list followers).
- Have their @replies or mentions show in your mentions tab.
- Follow you.
- See your profile picture on their profile page or in their timeline.
To unblock a user:
- Navigate to the Blocked user's Profile Page.
- Click the user's icon.
- Click Unblock in the drop-down menu.
It's Your Turn
Let us know how how you use Twitter Lists. Are you protective of your lists if they contain clients or do you share openly? We would love to hear your best practices in the comment section below.