10 Valuable SEO Resources
Was your college major in search engine optimization? Neither was mine. Most professional SEO's have had to self teach themselves while supplementing backgrounds in marketing or computer science with videos, online courses, and blog articles.
Since most universities still do not offer degrees in search engine optimization we still have to locate our own resources to educate ourselves. This is why we have put together the list of SEO resources below and kept it very simple going from Basic to Advanced.
- There is not better place to start with than SEOMoz's Free Beginner's Guide to SEO.
- 10 Basic SEO Tips To Get You Started is available from the Business Insider and will run your through keywords to links in an easy to understand slide share.
- We think the best place a beginner can start at is with Google itself. This link will take you to Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide.
Once you have masted the SEO Basic's above head back to SEOMoz and go through the Beginner's Checklist for Learning SEO. Follow this checklist and you will be on your way to the intermediate and advanced level in no time.
Now that you have mastered the basic elements of SEO and are ready to tackle more in depth strategies it is time to kick it up a notch so you can learn how to apply your basic knowledge to specific situations. There is not better place that we can think of than the SEO Theory blog to get started with your intermediate SEO learning. So, bookmark it and hit the books.
- A great place to start out is with a free SEO course offered up by GNC Web Creations. This course is designed to help small business and beginning marketers get their hands dirty and learn with in-depth SEO.
- SEOBook will provide you with some great video content and SEO Training Program.
- Attending conferences (my opinion) is one of the best ways to learn SEO. As you are able to attend multiple seminars each day, but as you connect with attendee's and start to brainstorm is when the real magic happens. Keyphraseology has information on many of these conferences nationwide.
- Now that Google has updated their algorithm and enhanced the value of content and sharing, we would recommend that you check out Pubcon plus it is being held in Vegas this year, and who doesn't like going to Vegas.
Young Skywalker, you are now ready to put the force to good use. If you have made it this far and been doing additional research then you may know most of these, but they are all very good reference points and keep their content fresh. Since SEO is always changing and there are many different ways to tackle it we suggest you keep educating yourself by staying up to date on the latest trends.
- The YouMoz Blog is a resource that may fly under the radar as it is really for advanced SEO's.
- Matt Cutts! Matt may be the best resource in the SEO industry as he is Google's search ninja and keeps his blog updated with tremendous nuggets that will keep your SEO on its toes.
- After you have bookmarked Matt Cutt's blog then jump over to the Google WebMaster Central Blog and do the same. You could spend days or even weeks on this blog learning new tricks and tips on quality SEO directly from the source.
Now you have graduated SEO University and are ready to take on the world right? Wrong, never stop educating yourself on SEO because as soon as stop, something will change and you will be behind. The next step is to start researching about SERP's and how your SEO strategies effect them.
Do you have additional resources that you use to educate yourself on SEO? Let us know in the comments section below.
image credit: freedigitalphotos.net/digitalart