Consumers who seek to find information about products and services online use keywords entered into a popular search engine, such as Google to find information. The keywords are what the search engine uses when it looks for relevant web pages in response to a searchquery. A keyword strategy is developed bybusiness owners and marketers to find the most suitable words for attracting web visitors.
The keyword strategy contains words or phrases that are entered into a search engine such as Google, Bing or Yahoo. The search engine mechanism then goes through an index of words that appear on a number of web pages and websites. After that, the search engine presents the most relevant web pages that pertain to the keywords entered. Often, those words are highlighted in the search results, so that users can see the context in which the keywords are used.
Consumers have become accustomed to finding web, online and traditional businesses through the use of search engines. Companies may be found after a keyword strategy incorporates words that describe products and services. Often, those keywords have been embedded into business websites and is used in related web content. All of this helps consumers find companies and what they have to offer.
When inbound marketing agents refer to a keyword strategy, this relates to creating a plan of action that includes the best search terms which pertain to your website and its products and services. Using a keyword plan such as this is most effective:
- While in the planning stages of the website
- Prior to starting a blog
- When developing marketing plans
- Creating online advertising materials
Optimizing Websites with Keyword Strategy
When a keyword strategy is formulated and used in online marketing materials, this is called optimizing. The keywords are developed around what represents your business products and services. As mentioned before, these efforts increase the opportunity for web surfers to find and discover your business website or blog, based upon the keywords. Ultimately, this will drive higher quality leads for your company.
Below are some steps to consider when developing an effective keyword strategy for your business:
- Choose at least 3-5 relevant keywords for your next inbound marketing campaign. You will want to utilize short-tail keywords to target high traffic volume as well as some long-tail keywords that will have a lower difficulty to rank for and be more targeted to your campaign.
- Design your strategy around less common, or competitive keywords that closely relate to your company. Try using the HubSpot or Google keyword tool to assist with defining how often a specific keyword is used by searchers.
- Use the keyword strategy you decide upon in your web pages, blog, articles, and social media. Keyword analysis is paramount for all of your content creation to maximize search optimization.
- If you are a HubSpot user the Keywords tool will store all of your keywords along with the required metrics to show you traffic, difficulty for rank, Cost Per Click, and much more.
By following those simple steps, you will increase the chance that your website, blog and other marketing efforts will attract far more visitors at the beginning, since it will rank higher and therefore be more visible in search engines, through using predifined keywords.
Keyword strategy plays a big role within your Inbound marketing techniques. Professional marketers use analysis with systems such as HubSpot, to learn which keywords to target. This information is then used as a competitive advantage to create more effective online marketing plans to attract more leads and covert to new customers.